Thursday, May 17, 2018

Is your safety at shopping centre’s guaranteed?


RANDBURG – Seems like crime is dependent on which mall you use.
NARVIN NAIDOO: The malls in Randburg are really safe compared to where I live. Even at night, I feel safe using these malls as the buildings meet safety standards such as good lighting and patrol cars monitoring the area.

Shopping centres are being targeted more and more by criminals.

It is a rare occasion when a day goes by without one hearing of criminal activity occurring at a shopping centre nearby.

Some of these crimes involve the use of firearms which results in shoppers or employees getting wounded or killed.

The Randburg Sun asked residents what their views were on mall security and safety and this is what they had to say …

DANIEL MATHEBULA: I feel safe depending on which mall I am at. The malls I use have upgraded the security to deal with the increasing crime levels.
JAMES BAXENDALE: I do feel safe in certain shopping centre’s, you notice the security guards even though you only see them in the background. Some centres are crime hotspots as they are easier targets with possible escape routes.

SNE NGWENYA: The level of security is fine but it depends where you are. I believe some victims, their family and friends’ mindsets on mall security will never change due to their experiences.

LAZARUS NAIDOO: I feel safe because I have lived in this area for long. I know which malls to go to and which to avoid. Some of these shopping centres need to improve their security to keep their status as safe malls.
VERONICA MANYAMBA: I was once a victim of crime at a shopping centre but it wasn’t too serious. Except for that one incident, I feel safe at the malls I go to. I feel that the security is adequate.
CANDICE-JADE TALJAARD: I don’t feel safe anywhere. We need more security everywhere as we constantly hear of and see people being victims of crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment